Packing Correctly is Key
When you are shipping furniture, you want to make sure it arrives in the same condition as it leaves. To ensure that this happens, you must take extra steps to help prepare and package your items. The number one reason for freight damage is due to improper packaging, so packaging your furniture properly is very important in order to avoid damage. With more than 30 years of experience in the furniture shipping and freight shipping industry, the FreightCenter experts have learned a few tips along the way to help you prepare your items for shipping. Keep these in mind to help minimize your chance of damage during shipping.
Helpful hints for packaging and preparing your furniture shipping
- Always use a strong sturdy box for packaging
- If you’re shipping multiple items, individually wrap and protect each piece
- Once you are done wrapping and boxing, shake boxes to see if there are any loose items moving that need additional cushioning
- Be sure to entirely wrap and enclose your item in protective material
- Label every individual box with the destination address
- Generously wrap and cushion your items – you never over-protect them
- Use packaging or shipping tape to ensure a strong seal
- If you are shipping tables by freight, you must disassemble legs and pieces, then wrap, box, and crate together
- Shipping electronics? Try to use the original manufacturers box for the best protection or generously bubble wrap to prevent shifting
- When shipping couches, remove all slipcovers and cushions and wrap these separately. Fully pad, protect, and crate to secure
- Purchase additional insurance for valuable items
- When moving heavy items, use furniture moving straps to make it easier and safer to move
If you have specific questions or concerns on how to properly package your items so that they have the least chance of sustaining damage during transit, please call one of our trained account managers to help you through the process. They can give you additional and specific hints to help you with your packaging so that it stays intact and safe during transit. Although there are no guarantees, our agents care about your items and will do our best to help you. Call us today!