We can guarantee that your seeds are handled by professionals who understand the specific requirements and precautions necessary for seed transportation when shipping with Freight Center.
Regulations for Shipping Seeds
Seeds hold the potential for crop production, gardening, and ecological restoration. Shipping grains is a regulated process that requires careful adherence to international and national regulations. When shipping seeds, consider the specific regulations governing the import and export of plant material in each country, the proper packaging, and the shipping cost. Understanding these regulations and cost considerations is essential for successful seed shipping worldwide.
- Import Permits: To ship grains into a country, an import permit issued by the appropriate authority is often required. Only U.S. residents are eligible to apply for an import permit. In the United States, the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) issues import permits that specify the conditions under which seeds can enter the country.
- Seed Species and Conditions: The import permit may specify which seed species are allowed and the conditions they must meet. This can include requirements for treatment, packaging, labeling, and shipping methods. Different grains may have additional restrictions and guidelines.
- Phytosanitary Certificate: A phytosanitary certificate is issued by the national plant protection organization (NPPO) of the country of origin. This certificate verifies that the grains have been inspected and are free from pests and pathogens. A phytosanitary certificate must accompany all seeds imported into the United States.
- Shipping Labels and Documentation: Depending on the regulations, shipping labels may be required for specific permits. It is essential to ensure that the shipped grains are accompanied by an invoice or packing list that includes the scientific names and quantities of the sources.
- Small Seed Lot Permit: The United States now requires a “Small Seed Lot Permit” for imported seeds to mitigate risks. Without this permit, there is a possibility of orders being stopped or confiscated by U.S. Customs.
- ePermits for International Shipping: When shipping seeds internationally, ePermits must be obtained by the importer. This process can be done online at no cost. The ePermits are valid for three years and allow for multiple grain imports.
Awards and Endorsements
- 2021, 2017 & 2016 Food Logistics’ Top Green Providers
- 2021 & 2018 Supply & Demand Chain Executives’ Pros to Know: Matthew Brosious
- 2020 & 2019 Top Food Logistics’ 3PL & Cold Storage Provider Award
- 2020 & 2019 Business Observer’s Top 500 Companies on the Gulf Coast
- 2020 & 2017 SmartWay® Transport Partner
- 2020 & 2017 Food Logistics’ Champions: Rock Stars of the Supply Chain
- 2020 Best of Palm Harbor Awards for Local Businesses
- 2017 Green Supply Chain Award from Supply & Demand Chain Executive
- 2017 Tampa Bay Business Journal Heroes at Work
- 2016, 2015, & 2012 Food Logistics Top 100 Software and Technology Providers
- 2013 Tampa Bay Business 100 by Tampa Bay Business Journal
- 2013 Top 100 Great Supply Chain Partners by SupplyChainBrain
- 2012 TIA Samaritan Award Honorable Mention
- 2012, 2011 & 2010 TBBJ Fast 50 Recipient
- 2013, 2011, & 2010 Diversity Business Top Businesses
Choose FreightCenter For All Seed Shipments
At FreightCenter, we understand the unique needs of customers shipping seeds. With our expertise in freight logistics, we provide seamless solutions, ensuring compliance with regulations and proper handling of delicate cargo. Our vast network of carriers and competitive rates make us the preferred choice for safe and reliable seed shipping. Trust FreightCenter to deliver your seeds with utmost care and efficiency.
How to Ship Seeds
When shipping seeds, it is important to consider the proper packaging to protect them during transportation:
- Seeds should be packed in sturdy packages that withstand postal machinery and equipment. If seed packets are open, placing the seeds and packaging in a sealed zip-lock-style bag before placing them in a mailing envelope is recommended.
- Properly dried seeds should be shipped to prevent the growth of molds caused by excess moisture.
- Delicate seeds can be placed in small boxes or vials before placing them in bubble mailers to provide additional protection.
- Different seed varieties should be packed separately in labeled paper packets or envelopes before being packed together.
Cost of Shipping Seeds
Shipping seeds also incurs costs. While some permits may not have fees, specific permits and certificates require payment. For example, a standard paper phytosanitary certificate processing fee is $6, and a mandatory charge of $50 is usually required to obtain this certificate for most international seed orders. Navigating the regulations and requirements for shipping seeds can be complex, but adhering to the guidelines is essential to ensure compliance and the successful delivery of seeds while safeguarding against the spread of pests and diseases.
Shipping Seeds with FreightCenter
Shipping seeds requires adherence to regulations and guidelines and careful packaging, and FreightCenter offers various services to help with your shipping needs. Get a freight quote today or call (800) 716-7608.
To create value for our customers by delivering customized shipping solutions that meet their unique needs and to fulfill shipping demands from simple to complex with expertise, guidance and ingenuity.
LTL shipping involves combining multiple small shipments from different customers onto one truck, allowing each customer to share the shipment cost. Trust the experts at FreightCenter to give you the best prices and the most comprehensive options for all your LTL freight shipping needs.
Truckload shipping, also known as full truckload (FTL), is a transportation option for freight that requires the entire trucks trailer space. Unlike LTL shipping, FTL shipping is reserved for larger commodities that exceed LTL weight and size limits, typically weighing more than 20,000 pounds or having dimensions that exceed 12 feet in length, 8 feet in width, and 8 feet in height. We deliver optimized solutions for full or partial truckloads and competitive dry van, flatbed, and refrigerated freight pricing. We can cover your full truckload shipping needs.
Nationwide Expedited Trucking services move your freight securely and rapidly. Your freight requires fast delivery; our freight shipping experts can get your shipment fast, whether in one large box or a full truckload. Expedited shipping is a transportation option that prioritizes the speed of delivery for freight that needs to be shipped quickly. This can be especially important for urgent situations, such as engine repairs or replacements for critical machinery.
Specialized is a transportation option for items that require specialized handling, equipment, or shipping conditions. Specialized shipments may include high-value cargo, oversized cargo, or cargo that require temperature-controlled transportation. The most reliable Specialized Freight Services rates from all the top carriers are just a few steps away. From white glove service to international shipping, we've got you covered.