Shipping Washing Machines
Learn how to ship washing machines safely and efficiently. Discover essential steps, from cleaning and securing attachments to proper packaging and labeling—partner with FreightCenter for hassle-free appliance shipping solutions.
Washing machines are necessary for all of us, and good housekeeping everywhere. As usual, a considerable demand for household appliances like washing machines is increasing. For instance, the need for washing machine appliances rose from $40.14 billion in 2015 to $45.69 billion in 2019, showing a sharp increase in demand yearly. The upward trend is not going away, and as a shipper, you must be on top of your game!
With such high demand for these appliances, understanding how to package and ship them correctly is critical to both their safety and the satisfaction of your customers. Your customers care that you can ship their washing machines carefully and efficiently from Point A to Point B without any damages or hiccups along the way. To ensure the best experience possible for your customers, you must take proper care of packaging, labeling, and securing your shipment while working with your FreightCenter agent to ensure your shipment meets all necessary paperwork/documentation and hazmat requirements.
Shipping washing machines domestically or internationally is a breeze when you partner with a trusted 3PL like FreightCenter. Our expert team will schedule and book your shipment, ensuring compliance and answering all shipment-related questions. Are you unsure about how to even package your washing machines for shipment? Luckily, washing machine packaging is straightforward when following the steps described in this article. Below, you will learn the process of shipping washing machines from A to Z, proper packaging methods, and what to expect from the compliance side of the process (paperwork and potential regulations and requirements). Read on for information on turning a seemingly overwhelming process into a simple task!
Shipping Washing Machines
When preparing washing machines for shipment, it is essential to remember the following steps. Following this process will help ensure you have a successful shipment!
- Securing Attachments
- Packing Appliances
- Shipping Labels
- White Glove Services
*Before following the steps on this list, ensure the washing machine is empty before doing any shipping prep work, such as cleaning.
Cleaning your washing machines to prep for shipping is a crucial part of the process. Your customer expects a top-quality product and a dusty machine will not do. Thoroughly cleaning these appliances is necessary for old and new washing machines, and taking the time to do so will leave a great impression on the retailer or customer. To clean the machine’s exterior, use a non-abrasive cloth an appropriate cleaning solution, and start scrubbing!
Different appliances require different cleaning methods, and the procedures for cleaning the interior of a washing machine are unique. Read the steps below carefully:
- First, gather white vinegar and baking soda. Then, put them both into the drum of the washing machine.
- Next, use a nylon brush to scrub the interior of the drum.
- Select the hottest temperature setting possible on your washing machine.
- Now run the heaviest wash cycle allowed, using only the cleaning solution in the drum.
For obvious reasons, turn off the washing machine’s power. Make sure the appliance is not in operation and is switched off. Then, disconnect it from the water source. The valves controlling the water source are usually on the wall behind the washer. Once the water source is disconnected, remove the hoses of the washer. Drain the hoses completely to get rid of any leftover water. Not doing this step properly can lead to leaks in the washing machine box, making it soggy. This consequence is the last thing you want to happen, so proceed with caution.
- Call a plumber or handyman if you are uncomfortable disconnecting the power source or draining the hoses. It will pay off to pay for any help you need with this process.
One of the unique challenges in shipping washing machines is securing the drum for transit. The drum is likely to swing around, which can cause damage to both the drum and the washing machine. Securing the drum safely can be made possible with these simple solutions:
- Utilizing shipping or transit bolts
- Applying foam to the inside of the drum (if it came with the machine)
- Placing foam boards or cardboard inside the drum
- Secure the washer door shut with appliance-friendly tape.
- First, measure the dimensions of the washing machine to ensure it will fit in the shipping box. Knowing the proper measurements will help determine how much packing material you need.
- Use stretch tape to close any doors or hatches.
- Wrap the appliance in any packing material, and ensure you have enough material to cover the whole product.
- Place the machine in a fitted box, using assistance from another person or two.
- Use packaging materials to fill the empty spaces between the fitted box and the appliance.
- Place the first box with the washing machine into a slightly larger box. Fill empty spaces between the second and first boxes with packing materials. It may be necessary to bubble or foam wrap around the control panels to prevent damage.
- Stainless steel must be protected from abrasion once the appliance is cleaned and disconnected. Flexible propylene foam (1/16 to ¼ in thickness) with excellent surface protection and no additives is essential. Secure the foam with a tape that does not transfer an adhesive to the appliance’s surface.
- Be extremely careful when attempting to pack appliances, and always obtain the help of another person or two. Do not attempt to package a washing machine yourself; seek help from others.
Working With Jennifer Rendine has been super easy. I know that every detail will be taken care of with each and every shipment. I would recommend Freightcenter.com to anyone. 5 Stars!
It was very easy to do and priced right . The people I talked to were very friendly and helpful !
It was a great experience. Everything went very smoothly. My customer service rep was exceptional!
I have used Freight Center for 3 different pickups and so far everything has worked beautifully. I would highly recommend their services and the pricing is very competitive. Thank you Freight Center for the good job.
So happy using FreightCenter. Great service and the lowest price. My go to shipper from now on!
Easy to work with. Scheduled on line and then a CS rep called us to make sure all the details were in order to ship our product correctly to the customer.
Awards and Endorsements
- 2021 Food Logistics’ Top Green Providers
- 2021, 2017 & 2016 Food Logistics’ Top Green Providers
- 2021 & 2018 Supply & Demand Chain Executives’ Pros to Know: Matthew Brosious
- 2020 & 2019 Top Food Logistics’ 3PL & Cold Storage Provider Award
- 2020 & 2019 Business Observer’s Top 500 Companies on the Gulf Coast
- 2020 & 2017 SmartWay® Transport Partner
- 2020 & 2017 Food Logistics’ Champions: Rock Stars of the Supply Chain
- 2020 Best of Palm Harbor Awards for Local Businesses
- 2017 Green Supply Chain Award from Supply & Demand Chain Executive
- 2017 Tampa Bay Business Journal Heroes at Work
- 2016, 2015, & 2012 Food Logistics Top 100 Software and Technology Providers
- 2013 Top 100 Great Supply Chain Partners by SupplyChainBrain
- 2012 TIA Samaritan Award Honorable Mention
- 2012, 2011 & 2010 TBBJ Fast 50 Recipient
- 2013, 2011, & 2010 Diversity Business Top Businesses
Why Choose FreightCenter for Shipping Washing Machines?
Why Choose Us For A Freight Quote?
- Shipping Quotes anytime
- Get Freight Shipping Quotes to anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.
- Unbeatable discounts on your freight LTL, truckload, rail, air, and more
- Automated Freight tracking, paperwork & invoices
- Manage all quotes & shipments in one place
- 24+ years of logistics experience working for you!
Choosing Your Carrier
There is no requirement to use the official carrier, and you stand to save a lot of money when you use a 3PL like FreightCenter to book your freight shipping. What’s more, when you call FreightCenter to take care of your shipping, you’ll receive excellent service for a fraction of the cost. The key is competition; FreightCenter is where top carriers compete for your business. Want proof?
Use our instant freight quote tool to receive estimates from numerous carriers, or speak to one of our freight shipping experts by calling us at 800.716.7608. FreightCenter takes care of all paperwork and scheduling and makes sure your materials get shipped on time and intact.
Once the packaging steps are complete, it is time to label the box with the appropriate shipping labels. Make sure your shipping label includes the following information:
- Origin Address (return address)
- Address of Final Destination
- Date shipped
- Appliance weight
- Shipping Class
- Tracking number
Additional labels you should include:
- HANDLE WITH CARE
- FRAGILE, KEEP DRY, DO NOT TRAMPLE
- THIS SIDE UP (helpful to have an arrow)
Utilizing these labels communicates fragility to the carrier, helping prevent damage during transit. Apply shipping labels to the appliance and any shipping boxes that display the complete shipping address for the destination. Be sure to use label protection tape to prevent scuffing or getting torn off. The more clearly the destination is marked, the more likely it will arrive on time.
Palletization is essential when shipping a large appliance like a washer or dryer. Pallets are necessary for these large shipments because they help keep freight together and provide a sturdy base, allowing loading and unloading with a pallet jack or a forklift. Pallets also help prevent water damage by keeping cargo off the ground.
Filling out the correct paperwork and documentation is essential to the freight shipping. The DOT (Department of Transportation) requires various documents for shipment. Some of these documents include:
- Bill of Lading (BOL)
- Freight Bill
- Packing List
- Proof of Delivery
Washing machines are hazardous because they sometimes contain components like lithium-ion batteries or electronic control boards. These materials are considered hazardous if they pose a fire, explosion, or leakage risk. Be aware that hazmat goods have a lot of detailed requirements and regulations involved. Luckily, you will have a FreightCenter agent to guide you through every step and ensure compliance. You will be required to provide the following:
- Correct Hazmat Paperwork
- Correctly marking/placading/labeling the shipping box
- Providing emergency response information
- Certification to ship Hazmat
To create value for our customers by delivering customized shipping solutions that meet their unique needs and to fulfill shipping demands from simple to complex with expertise, guidance and ingenuity.
LTL shipping involves combining multiple small shipments from different customers onto one truck, allowing each customer to share the shipment cost. Trust the experts at FreightCenter to give you the best prices and the most comprehensive options for all your LTL freight shipping needs.
Truckload shipping, also known as full truckload (FTL), is a transportation option for freight that requires the entire trucks trailer space. Unlike LTL shipping, FTL shipping is reserved for larger commodities that exceed LTL weight and size limits, typically weighing more than 20,000 pounds or having dimensions that exceed 12 feet in length, 8 feet in width, and 8 feet in height. We deliver optimized solutions for full or partial truckloads and competitive dry van, flatbed, and refrigerated freight pricing. We can cover your full truckload shipping needs.
Nationwide Expedited Trucking services move your freight securely and rapidly. Your freight requires fast delivery; our freight shipping experts can get your shipment fast, whether in one large box or a full truckload.
Specialized is a transportation option for items that require specialized handling, equipment, or shipping conditions. Specialized shipments may include high-value cargo, oversized cargo, or cargo that require temperature-controlled transportation. The most reliable Specialized Freight Services rates from all the top carriers are just a few steps away. From white glove service to international shipping, we've got you covered.
3 Advantages of Working With FreightCenter
FreightCenter has dominated the third-party shipping industry with unparalleled expertise and top-notch services for a quarter of a century. With a track record of excellence spanning over two decades, we have established ourselves as the go-to choice for businesses and individuals. Whether you need to ship smaller packages or large shipments, FreightCenter will cover you with our extensive network of carriers and cutting-edge technology. Join the thousands of satisfied customers who have entrusted their shipping needs to FreightCenter and experience the difference for yourself!
At FreightCenter, we've got a whole host of service options to get your freight moving! Whether you're shipping across the country or just down the road, we've got you covered. From expedited shipping to standard ground transport, we'll help you find the perfect solution for your unique needs. So why wait? Let's get your freight on the move today!
At FreightCenter, we pride ourselves on delivering nothing but the best when it comes to customer service. Our team of experts is dedicated to providing you with a 5-star experience every time you work with us. From answering your questions to helping you navigate the shipping process, we're here to make your life easier. So sit back, relax, and let us handle all your shipping needs with our top-notch customer service.