Calculating Freight Rates
Shipping freight rates vary depending on which carrier you choose. There are several factors that should be considered when calculating freight rates. The following factors all have an impact on your rate:
- Mode of transportation.
- Shipment’s weight and dimensions.
- Freight class.
- Point of origin.
- Point of destination.
- Type of goods being shipped.
- Insurance coverage.
- Extra services, add-on services, and accessorials.
Accuracy is key. When calculating your shipping freight rates, providing a detailed list from the above factors will help you get a more accurate estimate. When it comes to freight shipping, the devil is in the details.
- Are you shipping to a business in a commercially zoned location or a residentially zoned location? At-home businesses often require that you select the residential and limited access location shipping services accessorials.
- Is there a loading dock at the delivery location? If not, you need to choose liftgate services.
- Does your cargo require special equipment, such as temperature-controlled shipping?
- Is your shipment time sensitive? Then selecting expedited shipping services during the quote process helps keep your freight a priority even during delays.
- Did you weigh and measure your fully packaged shipment?
All of these items affect the final freight rate. Accurately reporting weight and dimensions as well as selecting all add-on services during the quote process helps you avoid surprise billing adjustments later. It also helps provide you with the most accurate estimated quote.
If you are unsure of specifics or have questions, call 800.716.7608 to speak with one of FreightCenter’s expert freight agents. Our agents provide their real-world experience and training to ensure that your shipping experience is smooth and cost-effective.
FreightCenter Can Help You Save Money
Our many years of experience working in the freight industry have resulted in strong relationships with the industry’s top carriers. When you work with FreightCenter, our networks and resources are extended to you.
Additionally, our agents ensure ease of shipment. We coordinate the details, including scheduling the pick up and drop off, paperwork and billing.
Ready to get started?