FreightCenter is a a very experienced freight company that you can trust to ship your generators and safely get them to their destination.
Shipping a Generator
Shipping generators typically involve arranging for the safe and timely transportation of large, heavy equipment from one location to another. Before shipping a generator, there are many key components to consider due to the size and fragility, so it is essential to work with a company like FreightCenter that has experience with heavy equipment.
Our platform allows you to compare rates and services from top carriers in the industry. We provide all the information you need to decide which carrier to choose, including carrier ratings, transit times, and pricing. With FreightCenter.com, you can rest assured that your generator will arrive at its destination safely and on time.
How to Transport a Generator
If you need to transport your generator to a new location, you need to make sure you properly prepare the equipment so that it arrives in good condition and unharmed.
Follow These 5 Simple Steps:
- Clean: It is essential that you clean the generator before packaging it. Removing any dirt, debris, or oil that may have accumulated on the unit during use will help prevent any potential damage during transport. Use a clean cloth or brush to remove any debris, and let the generator dry completely.
- Disassemble: Disconnect the generator from any power source and remove any accessories or attachments that may be attached to the unit. If your generator has a battery, it’s recommended to disconnect it before shipping. This will prevent any electrical discharge or damage during transport.
- Drain: Drain the fuel tank of any gasoline or diesel fuel to prevent leaks or spills during transport. Gasoline or other fuels can be hazardous during transport, so make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for draining the fuel.
- Package: Make sure you secure all loose parts with straps or ties to prevent them from shifting. Also, be sure to cover the machine with a protective tarp or other material, such as cardboard and bubble wrap. Strap the generator to a pallet with ratchet straps to make it easier for a carrier to load and unload the freight while also further protecting the generator and other cargo in the trailer.
- Label: Clearly label the package with your contact information, the destination address, and any special handling instructions. Attaching extra copies of the Bill of Lading to the cargo is recommended.
Why Choose FreightCenter for Portable Generator Shipping?
- Expertise: We have the expertise and experience necessary to ensure your shipment arrives safely and on time.
- Convenience: We offer a range of shipping options and delivery methods to meet your specific needs.
- Cost-Effective: We work with a network of carriers to provide you with the most cost-effective shipping options.
- Customs Expertise: Our team of customs experts can help you navigate the complex customs process and ensure your shipment is cleared quickly.
- Customer Service: Our dedicated customer service team is available 24/7 to answer any questions or concerns you may have about your shipment.
- Technology: Our advanced shipping technology lets you track your shipment in real time and receive updates throughout the shipping process.
Cost to Ship a Generator
The cost to ship a generator via freight will depend on several factors, such as weight, dimensions, destination, and shipping speed. The cost can also vary based on the carrier you choose, the level of service, and any additional insurance or handling fees.
As a general estimate, the cost to ship a generator weighing up to 100 pounds and measuring less than 3 feet in length via ground freight within the contiguous United States can range from $100 to $300. In contrast, expedited or specialized shipping options may cost more. However, the exact cost can vary significantly depending on the specific details of your shipment. To get an accurate estimate for the cost of shipping your generator via freight, it’s recommended to obtain quotes from different carriers and compare their rates and services. This can help you find the most cost-effective option that meets your specific needs and budget.
Necessary Documents for Shipping Generators
When shipping generators via freight, having the proper documentation is essential. Generators specifically require various documents to ensure that the equipment is transported safely and in compliance with international regulations. Necessary documents include Bills of Lading, Commercial Invoices, Packing Lists, Certificates of Origin, Dangerous Goods Declaration, Export licenses, and Insurance Documents. FreightCenter provides an extended variety of shipping documentation services to ensure your shipment meets all the required standards and regulations.
Regulations and Standards for Shipping Generators
Shipping generators are subject to various regulations and standards to ensure the safety of the equipment, the workers involved in the shipping process, and the environment. Important things to consider when looking to ship generators are Occupational Safety and Health Administration Regulations, Customs Regulations, Environmental Protection Agency Regulations, International Organization for Standardization Standards, International Air Transport Association Dangerous Goods Regulations, and the International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code.
Can I Ship a Gas Generator?
Yes, you can ship a gas generator as long as all fuel valves are securely closed and there is no risk of leaks or spills during transportation. Following the guidelines is essential to ensure your shipment is safe and compliant with regulations.
Choosing the Right Transportation Method to Ship Your Generators
Choosing the right transportation method is crucial when shipping generators to ensure that they arrive at their destination safely and on time. FreightCenter offers a range of freight shipping services, including road, air, rail, and sea transport. Trucking is a popular method for transporting generators, especially for domestic shipments. Generators can be loaded onto a flatbed truck, and the shipment can be tracked in real-time.
For international shipments, ocean freight is the preferred method of transporting generators. Generators can be loaded into containers and transported by sea. Air freight is a fast but expensive method for transporting generators. It is best suited for smaller, high-value generators or urgent shipments. When it comes to choosing which method is best for transporting your generator, think about cost, regulatory requirements, fragility, size and weight, distance and destination, and the timeframe. The choice of transportation method ultimately depends on the specific needs of the shipment.
Shipping Generators with FreightCenter
FreightCenter provides comprehensive shipping solutions for transporting generators securely and effectively. To ensure a smooth transport process, it is crucial to prepare your generator properly, select the appropriate freight company and transportation mode, and comply with all required documentation and regulations. While the shipping cost may vary, comparing quotes from different carriers with FreightCenter lets you discover the most economical option. Run a free quote online or call us at (800) 716-7608.
Shipping a Generator FAQ
How much does it cost to ship a generator?
The cost of shipping a generator varies between $300 to $600, depending on its size and other factors.
Can I ship a used generator?
Yes, you can ship a used generator. However, to ensure hazmat compliance, all fuel valves must be securely closed to prevent spills or leaks during transportation. The generator should be empty of any fuel.
What freight class is a generator?
A gas generator is class 92.5, and an electric generator is class 85.