Shipping Raw Materials
Discover the ins and outs of shipping raw materials efficiently and cost-effectively.
How to Ship Raw Materials
Due to their unique characteristics and challenges, shipping raw materials, such as wood, minerals, and ores, requires careful planning and consideration. In this article, we will explore the process of shipping raw materials, highlighting the differences compared to shipping other types of freight and discussing the cost factors involved.
How to Ship Raw Materials in 5 Easy Steps
When it comes to shipping raw materials, one of the key differences lies in the handling and packaging requirements. Unlike finished goods, raw materials are often bulky and heavy and may require special handling techniques. Here is a step-by-step process of shipping raw materials:
- Packaging and preparation: Raw materials must be packaged appropriately to ensure safe transportation. Wood, for example, may be bundled, while minerals and ores might be packed in sacks, barrels, or containers. Careful consideration must be given to prevent spillage, breakage, or damage during transit.
- Documentation and customs: Proper documentation is crucial for any international shipment. It includes commercial invoices, packing lists, certificates of origin, and any necessary permits or licenses. Compliance with customs regulations is essential to facilitate smooth clearance at ports of entry.
- Transportation mode: The transportation mode choice depends on factors such as the type of raw material, distance, cost, and urgency. Sea freight is often the most economical option for long-distance shipments, allowing large volumes of raw materials to be transported in bulk on cargo ships. Road or rail transport may be preferred for shorter distances or when time is of the essence.
- Handling and storage: Raw materials often require specific handling and storage facilities due to their characteristics. For instance, temperature-controlled environments may be necessary for certain minerals or ores. Proper handling equipment, such as cranes, forklifts, or conveyor belts, should be available to safely load and unload the raw materials.
- Insurance: It is advisable to obtain appropriate insurance coverage to protect against loss, damage, or theft during transit. Insurance policies tailored to the specific nature of the raw materials being shipped can provide peace of mind and financial protection.
Working With Jennifer Rendine has been super easy. I know that every detail will be taken care of with each and every shipment. I would recommend Freightcenter.com to anyone. 5 Stars!
It was very easy to do and priced right . The people I talked to were very friendly and helpful !
It was a great experience. Everything went very smoothly. My customer service rep was exceptional!
I have used Freight Center for 3 different pickups and so far everything has worked beautifully. I would highly recommend their services and the pricing is very competitive. Thank you Freight Center for the good job.
So happy using FreightCenter. Great service and the lowest price. My go to shipper from now on!
Easy to work with. Scheduled on line and then a CS rep called us to make sure all the details were in order to ship our product correctly to the customer.
Awards and Endorsements
- 2021, 2017 & 2016 Food Logistics’ Top Green Providers
- 2021 & 2018 Supply & Demand Chain Executives’ Pros to Know: Matthew Brosious
- 2020 & 2019 Top Food Logistics’ 3PL & Cold Storage Provider Award
- 2020 & 2019 Business Observer’s Top 500 Companies on the Gulf Coast
- 2020 & 2017 SmartWay® Transport Partner
- 2020 & 2017 Food Logistics’ Champions: Rock Stars of the Supply Chain
- 2020 Best of Palm Harbor Awards for Local Businesses
- 2017 Green Supply Chain Award from Supply & Demand Chain Executive
- 2017 Tampa Bay Business Journal Heroes at Work
- 2016, 2015, & 2012 Food Logistics Top 100 Software and Technology Providers
- 2013 Tampa Bay Business 100 by Tampa Bay Business Journal
- 2013 Top 100 Great Supply Chain Partners by SupplyChainBrain
- 2012 TIA Samaritan Award Honorable Mention
- 2012, 2011 & 2010 TBBJ Fast 50 Recipient
- 2013, 2011, & 2010 Diversity Business Top Businesses
Why Choose FreightCenter for Shipping Raw Materials?
At FreightCenter, we understand the critical role that shipping raw materials plays in your business. When it comes to transporting wood, minerals, and ores, we are the unrivaled choice. Our extensive network of carriers ensures reliable and efficient delivery, regardless of the size or weight of your shipment.
With our advanced technology and industry expertise, we streamline the entire shipping process, saving you valuable time and money. Count on us to handle complex logistics, provide transparent tracking, and offer competitive rates. Experience peace of mind knowing that your raw materials will reach their destination safely and on time with FreightCenter, your trusted partner in freight transportation.
To create value for our customers by delivering customized shipping solutions that meet their unique needs and to fulfill shipping demands from simple to complex with expertise, guidance and ingenuity.
LTL shipping involves combining multiple small shipments from different customers onto one truck, allowing each customer to share the shipment cost. Trust the experts at FreightCenter to give you the best prices and the most comprehensive options for all your LTL freight shipping needs.
Truckload shipping, also known as full truckload (FTL), is a transportation option for freight that requires the entire trucks trailer space. Unlike LTL shipping, FTL shipping is reserved for larger commodities that exceed LTL weight and size limits, typically weighing more than 20,000 pounds or having dimensions that exceed 12 feet in length, 8 feet in width, and 8 feet in height. We deliver optimized solutions for full or partial truckloads and competitive dry van, flatbed, and refrigerated freight pricing. We can cover your full truckload shipping needs.
Nationwide Expedited Trucking services move your freight securely and rapidly. Your freight requires fast delivery; our freight shipping experts can get your shipment fast, whether in one large box or a full truckload. Expedited shipping is a transportation option that prioritizes the speed of delivery for freight that needs to be shipped quickly. This can be especially important for urgent situations, such as engine repairs or replacements for critical machinery.
Specialized is a transportation option for items that require specialized handling, equipment, or shipping conditions. Specialized shipments may include high-value engines, oversized engines, or engines that require temperature-controlled transportation. The most reliable Specialized Freight Services rates from all the top carriers are just a few steps away. From white glove service to international shipping, we've got you covered.
How Are Raw Materials Transported?
- Rail Transportation: Railways are often utilized for shipping raw materials overland. They are efficient for transporting heavy and bulky goods such as coal, minerals, timber, and ores. Rail transportation is known for its high capacity, and long-haul capabilities, also holding compatibility with specialized railcars for specific materials.
- Trucking: Road transportation by trucks is highly employed for shorter distances and when flexibility is crucial. Trucks can transport various types of raw materials, including construction materials, agricultural produce, chemicals, and other goods. Trucking offers door-to-door delivery and is well-suited for smaller quantities or locations without direct rail or water access.
- Intermodal Transportation: Intermodal transportation involves combining multiple modes of transport, such as trucks, trains, and ships and using them in a coordinated manner. This approach allows for seamless movement of raw materials across different regions and optimizes the efficiency of each mode.
Shipping Raw Materials Made Easier with FreightCenter
Understanding how to ship and estimating the cost of shipping raw materials is made easier with FreightCenter. We offer a variety of services to transport raw materials safely and efficiently. Get a freight quote today or call us at (800) 716-7608.