How to Ship Terrazzo Tiles
Learn how to ship Terrazzo tiles safely and efficiently. Discover the history and types of Terrazzo tiles, along with maintenance tips. Partner with FreightCenter for reliable and hassle-free tile shipping solutions.
What is Terrazzo Tile?
Terrazzo Tile is a decorative tile used to build various structures within homes and buildings, such as floors, walls, stairs, countertops, and other surfaces. Two primary materials are required to create the Terrazzo Tile look: Durable materials/chips and binders. Durable materials must be able to withstand heavy traffic.
The binders used are either cement or resin based, ultimately depending on whether the terrazzo will be installed. Material chips are mixed into a binder such as cement or epoxy resin. Terrazzo mixtures are poured into place or precast molded shapes for panels or tiles. Once the mixture has cured and dried, it is ground down to reveal the selected chip patterns and create a smooth, usable surface. The polishing reveals embedded aggregates and unique designs. Terrazzo provides an artisan feel to homes and is often used in hotels, lobbies, bars, and other high-traffic areas.
Popular chip materials often include marble, granite, quartz, shells, and sometimes glass. The color of the chosen binder will reflect the appearance and visual texture of the tile patterns, and details such as chip type, size, and density can be customized. The creation methods used to create Terrazzo tiles allow endless customizations to fit within any space or design vision. Terrazzo is a beautiful, elegant surface that is built to last.
However, some cons still need to be considered before installing Terrazzo tiles, such as the expense of often necessary installation and its inherent slippery qualities; the slippery factor may make terrazzo an unsuitable choice for families and the elderly. If you decide to install terrazzo, your contractor may have information on non-slip surface additives to help mitigate these risks.
Additional cons include that this surface does not hold heat well, which can make for cold winters. Terrazzo has become more popular recently due to its timeless elegance, charm, and eco-friendly qualities. However, ensure this is the surface you want to go with before committing to the installation because of the time and cost involved in removal.
History of Terrazzo Tile
“Terrazzo” originates from “terra,” meaning ground in Latin. Origins of terrazzo can be seen globally, even as far back as Ancient Egyptian mosaics and modern-day terrazzo initially being seen in 16th-century Venice, Italy, to make stone offcuts. Venetian artisans then took discarded chips from marble slabs and embedded them into concrete mixtures. The surface of the blends was ground down to better suit their terraces and living spaces. Eventually, terrazzo techniques improved, making the terrazzo look a staple in decorative and durable surfacing. The method can even be seen in the works of Michelangelo, including masterpieces like St. Peters Basilica.
Terrazzo was first seen in the United States in 1890 during the installation of terrazzo at the Vanderbilt residence. During the 1900s, Italian immigrants and highly skilled terrazzo artisans came to the U.S. After the First World War, the popularity of this design increased, heavily contributing to the art Deco/new modern look of the time. Quickly becoming the material of choice during the 20th century, terrazzo was used from the Empire State Building to Radio City Music Hall.
Working With Jennifer Rendine has been super easy. I know that every detail will be taken care of with each and every shipment. I would recommend Freightcenter.com to anyone. 5 Stars!
It was very easy to do and priced right . The people I talked to were very friendly and helpful !
It was a great experience. Everything went very smoothly. My customer service rep was exceptional!
I have used Freight Center for 3 different pickups and so far everything has worked beautifully. I would highly recommend their services and the pricing is very competitive. Thank you Freight Center for the good job.
So happy using FreightCenter. Great service and the lowest price. My go to shipper from now on!
Easy to work with. Scheduled on line and then a CS rep called us to make sure all the details were in order to ship our product correctly to the customer.
Awards and Endorsements
- 2021 Food Logistics’ Top Green Providers
- 2021, 2017 & 2016 Food Logistics’ Top Green Providers
- 2021 & 2018 Supply & Demand Chain Executives’ Pros to Know: Matthew Brosious
- 2020 & 2019 Top Food Logistics’ 3PL & Cold Storage Provider Award
- 2020 & 2019 Business Observer’s Top 500 Companies on the Gulf Coast
- 2020 & 2017 SmartWay® Transport Partner
- 2020 & 2017 Food Logistics’ Champions: Rock Stars of the Supply Chain
- 2020 Best of Palm Harbor Awards for Local Businesses
- 2017 Green Supply Chain Award from Supply & Demand Chain Executive
- 2017 Tampa Bay Business Journal Heroes at Work
- 2016, 2015, & 2012 Food Logistics Top 100 Software and Technology Providers
- 2013 Tampa Bay Business 100 by Tampa Bay Business Journal
- 2013 Top 100 Great Supply Chain Partners by SupplyChainBrain
- 2012 TIA Samaritan Award Honorable Mention
- 2012, 2011 & 2010 TBBJ Fast 50 Recipient
- 2013, 2011, & 2010 Diversity Business Top Businesses
Why Choose FreightCenter for terrazzo tiles?
Why Choose Us For A Freight Quote?
- Shipping quotes anytime
- Get freight shipping quotes to anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.
- Unbeatable discounts on your freight LTL, truckload, rail, air, and more
- Automated freight tracking, paperwork & invoices
- Manage all quotes & shipments in one place
- 24+ years of logistics experience working for you!
Why Ship with FreightCenter?
When you choose to work with us, you are choosing to make your shipping process seamless. We are the 3PL to partner with, whether looking to “ship terrazzo tiles near me” or from across the country. Here are just some of the benefits working with our Third Party Logistics company will have on your shipping experience:
- When you partner with FreightCenter, a premier 3PL (Third Party Logistics) company with over twenty-four years of experience within the logistics industry, you are choosing success. Over the decades, our team has dealt with nearly every shipment imaginable. There is no shipment process we cannot help you with!
- FreightCenter employs a knowledgeable staff that is always willing to learn and grow with industry changes and advancements. We are ready to answer any questions you have throughout the entire process!
- We act as the middleman between you and your carrier; you do not have to worry about playing phone tag with your trucker. Your agent will directly communicate with you and your carrier, delivering any necessary information or updates between you.
- We secure the best transit carrier and route for you at the best price. There is no need to spend hours figuring out the logistics or searching for a worthwhile deal.
- We make it easy to ensure your shipments by guiding you toward the best providers. Whether you need full or partial coverage, we have you covered!
- We arrange the pickups and drop-offs while also making sure to track each shipment in transit. This ensures that you know where your packages are every step of the way!
Now what are you waiting for? Call FreightCenter to set up your account and discuss your shipment. We are ready to answer your questions and provide solutions! Our team looks forward to partnering with you.
Types of Terrazzo Tile
When choosing to install terrazzo tile, it is essential to consider the product’s thickness, weight, and gloss to suit your needs best.
Epoxy/thin-set epoxy: This terrazzo style presents a thin but durable texture. It works best in commercial or residential settings. It offers design flexibility and a wide range of colors instead of cement-based terrazzo. This type is highly resistant to stains and chemicals.
Polyacrylate: Polyacrylate is excellent for outdoor use! The texture is very breathable and uses small chips.
Sand Cushion: Sand cushion style is a heavy, wire-enforced terrazzo style. This type is excellent for high-traffic areas.
Monolithic: This type is often used indoors within schools, malls, and other busy areas. It is seen as an affordable option and is lightweight in density.
Bonded: The bonded option has a heavier weight and is thin. It is recommended to have professional installation for this method. A potential downside is that terrazzo comes in limited colors and sizes.
Rustic: Rustic terrazzo is commonly used for the outdoors. One of the benefits is the slip-resistant surface, making it ideal for pools and patios. It presents a more textured appearance that helps give a space an Earthy feel.
With this method, the terrazzo mixture is poured into place using metal strips dividing the colors and design elements. This option usually comes with a high price tag due to installation costs.
Large terrazzo slabs already cured are cut and ground down to the desired finish. These slabs are often used for wall installations or countertops. This option is excellent for those on a budget, partly because they come in standard designs and sizes ready to be installed upon delivery.
To create value for our customers by delivering customized shipping solutions that meet their unique needs and to fulfill shipping demands from simple to complex with expertise, guidance and ingenuity.
LTL shipping involves combining multiple small shipments from different customers onto one truck, allowing each customer to share the shipment cost. Trust the experts at FreightCenter to give you the best prices and the most comprehensive options for all your LTL freight shipping needs.
Truckload shipping, also known as full truckload (FTL), is a transportation option for freight that requires the entire trucks trailer space. Unlike LTL shipping, FTL shipping is reserved for larger commodities that exceed LTL weight and size limits, typically weighing more than 20,000 pounds or having dimensions that exceed 12 feet in length, 8 feet in width, and 8 feet in height. We deliver optimized solutions for full or partial truckloads and competitive dry van, flatbed, and refrigerated freight pricing. We can cover your full truckload shipping needs.
Nationwide Expedited Trucking services move your freight securely and rapidly. Your freight requires fast delivery; our freight shipping experts can get your shipment fast, whether in one large box or a full truckload. Expedited shipping is a transportation option that prioritizes the speed of delivery for freight that needs to be shipped quickly. This can be especially important for urgent situations, such as engine repairs or replacements for critical machinery.
Specialized is a transportation option for items that require specialized handling, equipment, or shipping conditions. Specialized shipments may include high-value cargo, oversized cargo, or cargo that require temperature-controlled transportation. The most reliable Specialized Freight Services rates from all the top carriers are just a few steps away. From white glove service to international shipping, we've got you covered.
Terrazzo Tile FAQS
Q. Can Terrazzo Tiles be used outdoors?
A. Different terrazzo tiles are suited to withstand particular environments. Terrazzo tiles can be used in outdoor settings, but make sure to use specifically outdoor Terrazzo tiles. The outdoor type is often thicker, with additional features to help it withstand weather and environmental exposure.
Q. How thick are terrazzo tiles?
A. The thickness of these tiles is relatively standard, with thickness often being 10mm (⅜ inch) or 20 mm (¾ in). As mentioned above, terrazzo tiles come in various styles and, therefore, range in thickness depending on the manufacturer and the usage of the tiles.
Q. Are terrazzo tiles eco-friendly?
A. Terrazzo tiles can be a more eco-friendly option. It depends on the materials used. Some tiles manufacturers produce are created with recycled materials like crushed glass or recycled aggregates.